Friday, September 2, 2011

A right handed and a left handed chicken

I finally located the right breed of chickens to Bel and Cleo.
 Bel is a Buff Orpington.
Cleo is a Marans.
Not that this really makes any difference-- in the long run they are still Bel and Cleo, Belina and Cleopatra.

There differences, besides color of feathers add up to Cleo's eggs are darker brown than Bel's, which are more beige. Bel tends to be more brooder and Cleo is more bullyish. Bel is noisier. She lets the whole neighborhood know that she has laid her egg. Cleo just takes it in stride.

  One difference that I have noticed lately though has sparked my attention. When I pick them up I place my left hand on their belly and my right hand behind their legs. I gently nudge them onto my right hand. They seem to grab on to my hand easier than when I come from the front. The difference is that when I pick up Cleo she sits comfortably on my right hand an rides to where ever I take her. Bel on the other hand (pun intended) turns herself around so she can ride on my left. Could it be that Bel is a leftie?

Last weekend I was informed by my left handed son-in-law-to-be that left handed people are smarter...of course he may be biased. But lefties do get picked on more and ignored by righties, which is similar to how Cleo treats Bel. . .

2 comments:

Three Swingin' Chicks said...

Nice to see your blog! I just found your comment on my blog this morning, not sure why it didn't appear earlier. Thanks for the note and I look forward to reading your blog and maybe seeing you at the coop tour.
Janice

kluks said...

Thanks. Looking forward to it!
Patti