Friday, April 1, 2011

Beyonce, Chicken Gaurdian saves the night.

It has been way too long since I posted, apologies aside, Bel & Cleo made it through the winter but nearly did not make it through last night.

3:00am: "squawk, squaaawk, I am screaming, can't you hear there is a varmint trying to snuff out my existence." (that would be Cleo).

Beyonce and I bolt out of our sleep and ran out the back door, neither of us were wearing anything on our feet and if you know Beyonce, you know she hates getting her feet wet--not only had it been raining, but the ice was still on the ground left over from  a whole winter's worth  of snow (the north side of the deck). Tim was there right behind us. Beyonce ran around the coop.

Beyonce: "Ruff, ruff, ruff, I raw rat rarmint rith my Reo in its routh. I reached in and rabbed the thing. I rulled it out of the ricken crage, rrrh. I ras rad. rext ring I row, we ras rrestling and rrighting. Rit ras rissing and I raid it on its rack. My rumens raid it ras a racoon. Ruff, ruff rururruff, it ras gone."

Cleo: "Bawk, she really did save me, bawk. Of course I was glad. Bel hid up on the bawk bawk perch so that varmint couldn't see her bawk. We were both glad to get inside the coop. Bawk, bawk"

The chickens are fine, The coop has been tightened and varmint proofed. All possible entries are secure. But Beyonce, Chicken Guardian, will remain alert.


Ruff ruff! Rust ry and rome rack you rarmint!

5 comments:

poodletail said...

Good girl, Beyonce.

kluks said...

Yes, she's the hero!

Frex said...

Give that girl a medal!!!

Poor Cleo! How traumatic.
Life with urban chickens is a wild ride, eh?
I'm glad it all turned out well.

kluks said...

I think it was traumatic for all of us. Beyonce barks when ever the chickens squawk. I am listening out my window and upset when the heat turns on and blocks out other sounds. Cleo has not been laying regularly. Bel seems totally unaffected, I think she froze like a rabbit on her perch where the raccoon couldn't get to her and dissociated the whole thing. And the raccoon has not returned.

sba said...

glad all's well. Close call!
Thank the Lord for hero's. sba