Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bel is coming out of the Closet??

This week has been a pretty stressful one in chicken life at our coop. But there has been an interesting change developing. I think Bel is trying to crow in the morning. It is not a clear "cock-a-doodle-doo," it's more like "rrrh-e-rrrh-rrhh."

I have noticed that she has taken on the strong role in the coop. Cleo has been passive and illusive where she used to be more aggressive.  She plays hard to get when it's time to go back in the pen--something that Bel used to do. Now Bel wants first dibs on the food and runs ahead of Cleo to get it.

Bel is behaving differently, like she has developed a case of blooming male hormones. It's funny, because she is the broody one of the two.

Well, I have nothing against trans-gender chickens, but if she turns rooster on me, the laws change and we have to get permission to have her/him from everyone in a two block radius. At least she doesn't crow until after 8am. If she/he started at 4am I would be worried --and tired.

She is still laying eggs. Cleo hasn't stated yet. I think they both need a chicken whisperer. Of course if Bel wants to be Bil, I will still love her/him. 
Hopefully this is a passing phase in the secret lives of my chickens.


1 comment:

poodletail said...

This is interesting, Patti, and surely a story to be continued.