Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hawk alert!

Today I was riding in a car coming to my home and my friend said "That was a hawk!" This hawk was not flying overhead, or sitting on a high branch of a tree, it was sitting on top of a car--yes, on the roof of your basic sedan. We had driven by so we backed up and rolled down the window. It still sat there looking ther other way as I fumbled with my cellphone to get a picture, then it heard us and flew off. It was literally only three feet away.

Yesterday when the chickens were out and about they started squawking their alarm. Beyonce (the diva dog) and I ran outside but didn't see any signs of another animal. Beyonce ran around the neighbors house.--the chickens had been  picking around in their garden--doing her job as Sasha Fierce, the guardian dog, but didn't scare up any cat or other creature. Bel ran up to Beyonce afterward though and the two had a bonding moment. It was sweet.

Could it have been a hawk?

Tonight my neighbor tells me that she has seen hawks sitting on the railing of my deck, b.c. (before chickens).


I wonder, if I put a plastic owl on top of my chicken coop will that keep the hawks away?

2 comments:

Fresca said...

I saw a hawk dive bomb a squirrel once in my densely packed and populated alley.
(And you know, there are eagles too. Bald ones!)

I don't know what protects against these birds of prey, but they are sure in the hood.

kluks said...

Yes, the wilderness is encroaching in on us city dwellers.